Leyton Orient Become Latest Club to Furlough Staff

0
439
Leyton Orient furlough
LONDON, ENGLAND, OCTOBER 23. Aerial view of the Matchroom Stadium the home of Leyton Orient Football Club on October 23, 2009

Leyton Orient have become the latest club to place their staff on furlough leave.

Leyton Orient Furlough Staff

Decision Includes Playing and Non-Playing Staff

League Two club Leyton Orient have confirmed that the decision will affect both playing and non-playing staff at the club.

The furlough scheme means that the government will be 80% of wages up to £2,500, while the London club continues to pay the remaining 20%.

This measure has been made by clubs in all divisions across England.

Speaking to the official Leyton Orient website, Danny Macklin, Chief Executive at the Breyer Group Stadium, said: “We appreciate these are tough and concerning times for virtually every business across the world, and Leyton Orient are no different.

“The longer we are unable to play games, especially in front of a crowd, sell non-matchday events, the bigger the impact could potentially be on the game and Clubs.”

“We are working very closely with the EFL, the PFA and LMA to follow the required process with regards to the Club’s playing staff.”

AFC Wimbledon Also Set to Furlough Staff

A report by Sami Mokbel of the Daily Mail suggests that League One side AFC Wimbledon are also set to place their staff on furlough.

The Dons are currently struggling in League One, as they sit in 20th place on 35 points. Like the several other clubs in the EFL, they are struggling financially without regular matchday revenue.

AFC Wimbledon will follow in Leyton Orient’s footsteps, and also place playing staff on furlough.

It is likely that other clubs in all three divisions will announce measures as to how they will be hit by the financial impact of the Coronavirus.

EFL clubs are set to be hit by further strains after it was announced that football will not resume on April 30, and will not until to safe to do so.

Main Photo
Embed from Getty Images

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.