REPORT: Tottenham Hotspur Transfer Funds to be Reduced

0
459
Daniel Levy of Tottenham watches from the stands during the FA Cup match between Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur at St Mary's Stadium, Southampton on Saturday 25th January 2020. (Photo by Jon Bromley/ MI News/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Tottenham Hotspur will reduce their available transfer funds this summer according to Sam Mokbel and Kevin Quigley at the Daily Mail. 

It is the latest cutback as the club reacts to the financial impact of coronavirus. There will also be implications for Jose Mourinho’s planned transfer activity this summer.

Tottenham Hotspur Transfer Funds Reduced

Why is the transfer fund being reduced?

Spurs hoped to secure a large financial deal over the naming rights to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for next year.

However, the impact of coronavirus and the uncertainty of when Premier League football will resume affects the prospect of any deal being concluded.

Reducing available funds for transfers is one of the latest financial cutbacks at Spurs recently.

Chairman Daniel Levy confirmed that 550 non-playing staff were placed on furlough earlier this week. Further staff were also asked to take a 20% pay cut. 

Spurs stopped all of their player recruitment projects as a further result of their financial cutbacks. This effectively ends any of their transfer plans in place for the summer.

A Blow for Mourinho’s Plans

The latest cutbacks at Spurs will hugely affect Jose Mourinho’s planning for next season.

Prior to the suspension of the Premier League in March, Spurs were in poor form. The North London club lost four of their last five matches in all competitions.

Mourinho has also lost key players to injury. Harry Kane, Moussa Sissoko, Son Heung-Min and Steven Bergwijn were all sidelined.

Following the 2-1 defeat to Chelsea in February, Mourinho said he wanted the season to fast forward to July so he could get injured players back into the squad.

He said: “I would love to be at July 1, I would love to be in pre-season, working with Harry Kane, (Moussa) Sissoko and Sonny. That’s not possible.”

These key players are likely to be in contention when the Premier League resumes. But, Mourinho’s strengthening of the squad now looks unlikely.

Main Photo

Embed from Getty Images

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.